Sunday, May 14, 2006

The reason (and I don't mean that shitty pop-rock song)

I can't believe I agreed to this. First of all, let me be very clear here: I enjoy blogs. I enjoy reading them. I enjoy knowing people that write them. And I enjoy getting to know the people that write them by reading them. I have never written one - I think for good reason. Then along comes my boy Scribbs, "We need a blog!" he says. "We totally need a blog! It'll keep our writing sharp in this post-college-pre-grad-school-wasteland we call our lives." Okay, maybe that wasn't quite as verbaitum as I'm making it out to be, but that's essentially what he was proposing. So, eventually of course, I give in. And we find ourselves here. Supposedly at some point-counterpoint debate of the issues, the ideas, the books, the films, our daily lives, and of course, hopefully, usually depressingly, and inevitably, girls. And then what happens? He goes and plunks down some meandering nonsense about fathers and sons and ships and taking control of fate. Yes, it vaguely relates to the title of this blog, but I'm going to be quite upset if he's trying to seize control of some intellectual high ground. I will not be the court jester to this blog (I am of course much funnier and more charming than Scribbs is, so I suppose to some extent I will have to provide that angle) but I will not be the low brow to his high. The point ultmately is - don't be fooled. He talks a big game, a big mumbo jumbo game - but there are real ideas in there somewhere. And hopefully, if I stay on the point, he'll stay on the point. And then we'll all be on the point - and really, isn't that the whole idea of blogging? The sharing of ideas in an attempt to raise the level of discourse in this country, world, etc. Fuck. Now he's got me meandering off, trying to sound like I'm actually building a grander point. I'm not. And I apologize for sounding like I was. The real point is, Scribbs can be an ass who gets too full of himself, and I am here (and hopefully some of you too) to keep him in check (although I'm sure at some point I'll be the one who needs to be checked - nobody's perfect). I think this is starting to get a little long, so, as they say in Wayne's World (and this is, I assure you, only the first of many, many pop culture references), "game on."

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?